Friday, October 5, 2007

A Parting of the Clays

Lots of news rolling in this week as my company, a specialty minerals manufacturer, informed me after much internal debate and consideration that they have decided NOT to create a position for me in Europe. Which allows me to focus exclusively on my true goal of swelling the ranks of the Swiss unemployed.

The split has been quite amicable. My last day at work will be in about three weeks. I fully understand their decision from a business perspective and although I'm sure that I could have benefited them in a European role, it's certainly not out of character with the company's usual conservative style regarding decisions of this nature. Optimistically, the doors of communication will remain open and it's possible given the rapidly evolving business situation that an opportunity to work together again will present itself a few months down the road. That is, of course, if I'm not already otherwise employed or simply smitten by the lifestyle of a haus herr in one of the coolest locations in the world.

From a bit of scoping, I've decided that job searching in Zurich will consist of the exact same drudgery as job searching in Chicago--job boards, headhunters, corporate websites, blah, blah, blech. But there are certainly a fair amount of postings in English. And the area surrounding Zurich is full of multinational employers in the chemical, pharmaceutical and medical device industries which fit my geeky background. And although it sounds crazy, I still haven't adandoned the idea of an entrepreneurial venture in the project management consulting/software vein. I mean, after I shoot out five resumes and cover letters each morning, I can't possibly just drink espresso the remainder of the day every day (even though I do love espresso), so I may as well entertain my pipe dreams of self-employment, right? After all, it's the American thing to do.

1 comment:

Marti said...

I think that even though your company had plenty of time to get something going, it was too big of a departure from their norm. No one wants to go out on a limb. But having said that, strange things happen and you could be surprised sometime down the road with a phone call from Chicago. In any event, whatever you decide to do will work out great! We're excited about your prospects!