Thursday, November 15, 2007

Schnee Storms!

Today's title sounds like something from a Dr. Seuss book, doesn't it? Star-Bellied Sneetches in Schnee storms! Der Schnee is German for "the snow" and already in mid-November Zürich has recieved its share. We're told it's not uncommon to enjoy a several-centimeter "dusting" this time of year, but that snow rarely really sticks until late December or early January. Although Zürich's average seasonal temperatures supposedly match Chicago's fairly closely, we're already recognizing quite different daily patterns--must be those crazy mountains nearby.

For those wanting pictures of a grinning Shweizerschneehund, here are a few (sorry for the photo monotony, he's my only available subject!)...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=2hd8fyj.asbheydb&x=0&y=-d52e4

5 comments:

Duh Editor said...

In order to help you with your definition of exercise...mine (and since you are my son) you may use it also.....if you get up out of bed and at any point reach a standing position,,,that is Exercise!

Anything more, walking or making coffee,etc. is additional exercise and can be rewarded with pastry.

It is a really quite effective system and easy to measure.

Try it out!

Marti said...

I think Dad is making comments on the wrong blog segment, but what the heck. Anyway, the snowy pictures are incredible - but are you sure you are not in Green Bay? Maybe you took a wrong turn. By the way, Hobbes looks beautiful in these pictures. I have never seen his coat look so lush! Looks like he has met some Swiss friends, too. He is definitely in his element!

Anonymous said...

Todd,
You've only been gone a couple weeks and I've learned more about Switzerland than in all the years my sister-in-law lived there. You're such a great writer, that I feel like I'm right there with the three of you. Maybe you should consider taking up travel writing as a profession...

becky said...

we have really enjoyed the blog but this entry is the best!!! The pictures of Hobbes are wonderful. He looks so happy!!!!! He is even making friends (probably trying to find out where all the good doggie stuff happens - thankfully he has no language barriers!!)Look forward to hearing about the upcoming Sunday family adventures - so cool he can go everywhere with you!!! Ah the places you have seen. . . sounds like another Suess book.

Anonymous said...

Forget ODC Todd, I agree with Violet, you need to be a writer! How about a title like The Wonderful Travels of Hobbes? Or Hobbes in Schnee-land? You really have missed your calling as this is definitely book worthy info!!
And regarding the exercise, if you are on your knees running a vacuum,in my book, you are due unlimited pastries!
Every time I see these photos I can't help but think of the farmland in Wisconsin. No wonder so many Swiss settled there! BTW, my Packers are now 9-1!!! Big game against Detroit this Thanksgiving.
I hope you fins some ex-pats to enjoy the holiday with ! Have a happy turkey day!