Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Clear Day

I'm back in Lausanne this week, naturally, for my requisite three day/two night stay. I battled a second touch of the flu this past weekend after a tough week in Italy, not nearly as bad as my flu encounter in January but enough to slow me down. The weather on both ends of Switzerland (and also apparently northern Italy) this winter has been cold and wet, rain and snow. Fairly typical I believe, although a touch colder and snowier than last year.

I took advantage of a rare crisp mostly-sunny day yesterday (3ºC or about 37ºF) for a walk at lunchtime. I must interject that in German, "I went for a walk" is "Ich bin spazierengegangen", one of my favorite words. The only downside to our excellent office cafeteria (boiled beef in a red wine vinaigrette sauce yesterday - très bon!) is that one tends to be cooped up in the same building all day. That was a nice thing about working in the Wrigley Building in Chicago, you could walk outside everyday to a bustling different world.

Lac Léman or Lake Geneva is only about a 15 minute walk from the office, I discovered, just outside the crane and concrete borough. My nifty non-Blackberry but fancy camera-enabled phone captured a panorama of the lake with its swans, mountains and looming clouds. I had a feeling the views around here were spectacular, if you know when and where to uncover them.

1 comment:

Duh Editor said...

You know my eating habits - can you guess how I would fare in your environment?

My yearly sales would be somewhere south of "zero" if "dining like a local" was a requirement.

Sorry to hear you are still feeling poorly, part of the problem is old age! :-)

Duh Editor which is going to show as my "address" is from my google/blooger account, sorry 'bout that!

RJH