Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Some Kind of Groove, Pt. 2

Hmm, similar to an actual work day, I forgot where I was in recounting my new weekly routine (cut me some slack, I'm out of practice). Ah yes, I remember now, I remember everything...

Carless in the evenings, I walk 5-10 minutes from the hotel through the main train station to catch a bus, destination: health club (sister club to our Zürich membership) at least two nights a week. After a year in Zürich, a bus still feels more natural than a car; it's hard to re-teach an old dog older tricks. I also want to check out the main Lausanne public swimming pool (Swiss public pools rock!) but haven't attempted it yet. Last week, as is typical for a traveler with too much on his/her mind, I nearly disastrously forgot to pack my workout shorts, but luckily (aha!) had brought my swimming attire. It was anything but pretty, but my spandexy black swim-training suit over my spandexy undershorts got the job done (you know it still wasn't as ridiculous as some peoples’ attire).

After working out, I usually grab a portable dinner at the train station to eat back in the hotel room, typically a sandwich (always on French bread, never the pretzel bread ubiquitous in Zürich) and a mini (1/2 to 1/3) bottle of wine. My big meal is cafeteria lunch (rabbit or trout or something) so a light dinner is fine; a bit lonely and boring, but whatever. Last week I mixed it up by venturing to the Old Town neighborhood near the health club to satisfy my craving for an always-delicious Turkish Döner kebab, my first on the French side. Evenings not spent at the club, I hit a local low-key restaurant in the hotel/train station neighborhood, of which there are plenty to choose from. The average Lausanne mom-and-pop restaurant & café offerings are still somewhat constrained by Swiss respect for the norm, but supremely better than Zürich’s; no cheaper but at least varied, original and interesting (and French). My language limitations also admittedly temper the dining experience: it's funny how mastering the physics of wave-particle duality during the day yet not being able to order a side salad at night gives a net bedtime result of feeling like an utter idiot. You'd expect a better mental balance but no such luck.

As the curtain closes on the workweek, I exit the office late Friday afternoon to catch a 4:30pm train home. Unlike the outbound trip, I wouldn’t dream of mixing with Friday evening’s 2nd class carloads of obnoxious teenagers drinking 1.70 Franc cans of lousy Feldschlösschen beer (Switzerland’s Budweiser or worse). Goodness no, I pay the 22 Franc upgrade for an adult 1st class seat where we drink 1664-brand beer from France (the haute tradition bière) for a respectable 2.00 Francs per can. I reach my doorstep more or less around 7pm. Let the weekend begin!


Starting mid-January however, compress that same schedule from five full days to only Mon-Wed or even Mon-Tue, with the other 2 or 3 days working from home and that’s my new routine. Half French, half German, all Swiss--hopefully my brain doesn’t explode (or as the Germans say, my head doesn’t smoke, mein Kopf raucht nicht). Hey, it’s a living.

1 comment:

Carol Z said...

What an adventure you're having! First, learning German and how to live well in Zurich and now working in Lausanne and learning French. I'm envious! It sounds like the challenges are a bit less monumental now that you and Steph have over a year of ex-pat living under your belts. Good luck at work and hope you two had a great Christmas!
Carol